Tuesday 10 March 2015

Roast chicken in milk

Looking in our freezer I and thinking I didn't really want to take anything out as there was nothing there that I thought 'Oh yeah I'll use that for dinner!'

I took out a whole chicken then after about an hour I remembered when I was told, that roast dinner was great, but not with chicken…hummmmm 

So I was looking through recipes and this recipe jumped out….I think it was the ingredients that made it jump out….chicken cooked in milk with lemon zest…..REALLY!!!!

While having lunch with friends, I mentioned  the recipe and my concerns, because I always think of milk curdling ~ I mean I add lemon juice to milk to make butter milk… 
So my friend Angie tells me she has a recipe which uses cream and lemon and the lemon is the last thing added :)
So I'm the more I think about this, I'm like REALLY….well I just decided I'm over thinking this!

I get a call from Jamie telling me he'll be at school later than he thought, so I thought right, lets do this
I did change a little bit up in the recipe and I have to say We LIKED it! 

Is it the best chicken ever? NO! 
Was it good? YES!
Was it moist? YES!!
Would I make it again? YES!!!

What you'll need

A whole chicken 
milk ~ I used about 2 cups
Skin of 1 lemon 
garlic cloves crushed ~ I used 3
cinnamon stick
rubbed sage ~ 1 teaspoon
rosemary ~ 1 teaspoon
butter
salt ~ pinch

I didn't want to use my Dutch oven/cast iron oven dish for this as I think the chicken would have gotten lost in there and I would have needed a lot more milk.

So in a meat pan I melted some butter and then I added the chicken to try and brown it a bit
I peeled a lemon with a veggie peeler
crushed some garlic
I add the milk to the pan, then the lemon, garlic, rubbed sage, rosemary, cinnamon stick  and salt 
some of the sage and rosemary landed on the chicken 
I spooned a bit of the liquid mixture over the chicken. 
over with foil and bake for 1 hour at 180/350 degrees
take out of the oven, remove the foil
baste/spoon some of the liquid over the chicken
Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes

Enjoy!

what you'll need

melt the butter then add the chicken and try to brown as mush as you can

peel the skin of 1 lemon

crush some fresh garlic cloves

add the herbs

add the lemon, cinnamon,  salt and milk 

cover in foil and bake for 1 hour

remove foil baste/spoon some of the liquid over the chicken
Return to the over without the foil and cook for a further
30 minutes 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment