Thursday 5 March 2015

oven roasted cube potatoes with home made onion soup mix

We don't fries/chips at home very often even though we all like them :)

What I do at times is cube some potatoes, season them and them throw them in the oven
The great part of this, is that you can season to your hearts content with your favorite seasons.

I do like them with onion soup mix

As I can't always get soup, i decided to make my own.

Did it taste anything like soup mix I normally buy ~ NOPE!
I wanted to make a vegetarian version.
All the recipes that I found where asking for beef stock cubes/granules

I found this and it was good and I will use it again :) No complaints from anyone here
Next time I'm making a batch of different seasonings I will make the soup mix with beef stock
just because.

What you'll need for the mix 

dried/minced onion ~ 1/2 cup
onion powder ~ 4 tablespoons
dried parsley  ~  2 tablespoons
garlic powder ~ 2 teaspoons
celery seed ~ 2 teaspoons
Ground black pepper ~ 1 teaspoon
turmeric ~ 2 teaspoons
salt ~ 1/2 - 1 teaspoon  (I used 3/4 teaspoon)

put everything in a jar and mix well

For the cubed potatoes

You'll need

potatoes
oil ~ about 1 tablespoon
onion soup seasoning ~ 1 tablespoon

cut the potatoes up, don't peel them this is meant to be easy!
when cut up place on a tea-towel wrap the potatoes up and pat as much of the liquid out as possible
place potatoes in a bowl and add a little bit of oil add the season and mix well, making sure all the potatoes are coated

bake at 200degC/400degF until cooked through

Enjoy!

You can use any seasoning you like.
I also like Webber's seasonings for this.
I just want to find recipes to make my own season's just like some of the Webber's range
As my supply will run out one day ;)




Add all the herbs and spices into a jar

mix well

keep in an airtight container 


What you'll need for the potato cubes

Cut and cube your potatoes
then put on a tea~towel 

wrap up the potatoes in the towel
and get as much moisture as you can out of the potatoes

put the potatoes in a bowl and add some oil and coat all the cubes

add 1 teaspoon of the soup mi, making sure all cubes are coated

place on an oven tray.
I also use a silicone mat (i love them)

bake at 200/400 degrees until browned and cooked through 

No comments:

Post a Comment