Monday 23 March 2015

My version of lettuce wraps

On friday I decided lettuce wraps were on the menu!
I mean who doesn't love lettuce wraps?!?!
I go to a certain big chain restaurant just for these!

The only problem was that I needed water chestnuts ….and guess what I couldn't find?
Yep Water chestnuts!!!!
I looked up what I could use instead and it seems quiet a few people had the same problem.
Well celery was the common answer…hummmm wasn't sure about that.
Then Angie came to the recuse!
Angie also helped out with the main ingredient for Sundays dinner, but you'll get that recipe sometime this week :)


Peeling the iceberg lettuce was a nightmare! I'm sure I wasted more than I used!!!
I'll use lambs/butter lettuce next time.
So when I made these I also cooked some puffed up the noodles….go me!


So what you need!

lettuce leaves
chicken ground/minced  ~ I used 600 Grams
red pepper/capsicum/bell ~ 1/2 of a large one diced
Straw mushrooms ~ 1 small packet chopped finely
water chestnuts ~ I used 1/2 a small can
hoisin sauce ~ 5 tablespoons
fresh ginger grated ~ 1 tablespoon ish
2 cloves of garlic minced
Sesame oil ~ 1 tablespoon
green/spring onions finely chopped

In a pan put the oil, garlic and ginger.
start cooking through, then add the minced/ground chicken
when almost cooked through add the finely chopped straw mushrooms
Then add the hoisin sauce, mix well and keep cooking
Then add the finely chopped red pepper and water chestnuts

The water chest will still have a crunch to it!

To puff the noodle heat some sun flower oil and test it it hot enough by dropping a noodle in. if it starts puffing up straight away it it hot enough, BUT be care not to burn your oil!!!!

Serve in a a lettuce leaf and garnish with green onions and puffed noodles


What you'll need


add the oil, ginger and garlic to the pan and
start cooking through


add the chicken when starting to change colour add the finely chopped mushrooms
cook for a few minutes then add the hoisin sauce
and finely diced bell peppers and finely chopped water chestnuts

For the puffed noodles


Heat the oil to a high temp and put the noodles in

cook one side then  turn over for the other side
This takes seconds!!!
Serve in a leaf of lettuce.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment