Monday 23 February 2015

Homemade pasta sauce

I love tomatoes and I seem to always forget we have some in the fridge.
Then I'd end up buying more. Then needing to throw away so many blah blah blah!

One summer when I was emptying the fridge before going on holiday/vacation I noticed we had lots of tomatoes…There was no way I was going to be able to use all them in the next 24 hours
So I decided to roast them and then I thought I'd make a sauce.
Well I roasted them and took them out of the oven, put them in a dish to be blitzed later that day…only the day got away with me. So I put them in a container and threw them in the freezer
As this turns out it was a good idea.
When we returned I wanted to make a Sgetti/pasta dish of some kind and I never really had anything at hand.
(I always have a jar of something, a tin of soup, tin of beans you get my drift...…but NOTHING) then I remembered the roasted tomatoes thrown into the pit of the freezer.
After defrosting, blitzing and throwing it in the saucepan.
I served it waiting for the where did that come from or that was interesting (yes I have served some interesting meals and maybe they have not always been a hit with the family…passable but not on the keep that on the list for next time.) Well nothing negative….if anything positive…Not a 'That was lush'  or 'Thats the best meal I have ever had'
So I thought right…you'll be getting this again :)

I have made this and served it on the same day, but it's not as nice as when it's left longer.

Also I never buy tomatoes just for this.

I do find the sauce is VERY thick and needs watering down, which I do with either chicken or vegetable stock

You'll need

tomatoes (whatever you have in the fridge and won't be putting in a salad cause it's no longer a perfect little tomato!)
a onion
splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon  full of sugar
2 cloves of garlic
generous dash of italian seasoning
1 1/2 ~ 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
salt and pepper
dash of oil ( I used pumpkin oil in this one today)

I  might have mentioned I don't really do  measurements…this recipe is what suits YOU

throw all ingredients into an oven proof dish
I just peel the onion…no point chopping it up …its extra work!
mix everything
Cook for about 30 minutes
It will be ready when the onion are garlic are cooked and soft right through.

Then when cooled you can blitz it straight away or you can wait until needed. Put in a freezer container throw it into the freezer. You will need to add liquid it does get very thick


This is good with ground beef, chicken breast,  meatballs, prawns/shrimp or veggies or just on it's own with grated cheese :)

put everything into an ovenproof dish
stir everything so everything is coated 

Bake until the onion and garlic is soft

I placed in a dish so I could blitz this up

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment