Tuesday 20 January 2015

Ricotta, lemon and blueberry pancakes

Pancakes are always a hit in our house. I have one recipe that I use to make one big batch of pancakes for the week and then they just help themselves until we are running low and I'll make more.

I wanted something different though. I had the ricotta, and blueberries and always have lemons.
It made me think of breakfast with the ladies back in Yokohama when we would go to Bill's for breakfast. I would always have the ricotta pancakes.
While these are not as big or even taste anything Bill's Pancakes they are good!
with a soft and very moist, almost but not quite  gooey middle.
I can also tell you they taste just as good next day :)

So I looked at some recipes online and adapted to what I had in the house

2 things you should know about my recipes/cooking

1. when a recipe calls for liquid, for example 1/2 cup of water. I use my dry measurement cups not liquid cup sizes…I'm not sure if everyone does that :)

2. when making a recipe especially if its my own I don't always measure. I add what WE like :)

This recipe makes about 10 pancakes 

1 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of BAKING POWDER
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup of ricotta cheese (with liquid drained off)
3/4 of a cup of milk
2 eggs separated
dash of vanilla
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of half a lemon
Blueberries (I use about a small container which was a 250g Well thats what the box said. I also ate some as I was making this )

Separate the eggs, then whisk the egg whites until stiff

Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
In another bowl mix the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, vanilla and the lemon juice.
Then mix the dry ingredients into the ricotta mix.
Add the lemon zest and blueberries

Then start to fold in the egg whites. FOLD don't use a mixer for this part.

Then heat a NONE STICK pan

Then ladle/spoon the mixture which will be quite light and airy into the pan.
cook for about 3-4 minutes, turn over and then cook for another few minutes





No comments:

Post a Comment