Sunday 25 January 2015

Pork meatballs

Have you ever rushed around the supermarket and forgot what you went in for…or even picked something up that was totally the wrong thing in your rush.
Well even when I'm not rushing, I have managed to do both of the above!

A few years ago we were having people come over and I wanted to do warm appetizers/ finger food.
One of the foods I was wanting to make was meatballs in a sauce….I thought this would be easy as then I could use the trusty slow cooker to keep them warm.

Somebody happened to mention in passing that they did not eat beef….well my meatballs were going to beef~ish I said beef~ish because I had wanted to add seasoning to them.

Then I remembered the ground/minced pork that had been bought by mistake the pervious  week and was destined to be in the bottom of the freezer until the freezer was sorted out!

Well they were a success thankfully!

But this got me thinking (at times I do manage a bit of that!) 

I then found a recipe for Italian sausage. It was also a lot cheaper than buying the actual stuff.

So now I actually buy the ground pork.  I season the pork and leave it over night (or as long as possible) Then I bake them. When cooked and cooled I but in freezer bag and throw them in the freezer.
Then when I need a REALLY quick dinner as I have forgotten to take out something for dinner this are life savers.

Make a quick pasta sauce, cook your pasta then add the meatballs to your sauce. 

For this recipe it really is hit and miss and depends on YOUR taste!

1kg of minced pork
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
ground fennel (I use a lot about 2-3 tablespoons)
smoked paprika ( about 2-3 tablespoon)
garlic powder    (I use about 1 1/2 table spoons)
pinch of ground chili
teaspoon of sugar

mix everything up, use your hands,  cover up and place in the fridge. 
When ready, make into meatballs…I normally get 24-28
Bake until cooked.  350/180 
I find this takes about 30 ish minutes







No comments:

Post a Comment