Monday 4 April 2016

Szechuan Beef

                                               Szechuan Beef 
                                                                       (Spicy Beef)




I love trying new recipes. I spend ages trying to find a balance with the recipes of what my will eat.

Lately I'd felt a bit guilty towards TH (the husband) He likes spicy food....not the kind where you just poor over a bottle of chili sauce sauce, but he's not afraid of chili's and other strong tasting foods. Unlike myself :( 

I have visions of  us going to a sports bar or something and they have a chili eating contest and him joining in......I don't think he'd think twice if there was a spare chair in the competition.....

So I seen some spicy beef recipes and this was by far my favourite.....
I was also glad I froze some of that left over white wine :)


This was tasty and spicy  and I ate cucumbers with mine.
TH took left overs to work with him and said this was definitely spicier today


What you'll need

beef~steak cut into strips  ~ 750g
soya sauce ~ 1 tablespoon
white wine, ~ 1 tablespoon ( I used frozen from when I used a bottle from another recipe)
corn starch ~ 5 tablespoons
sesame oil  ~ 2-3 tablespoons

celery  ~ 1-2 ribs chopped
green/spring onions ~ 5 chopped, the green and white parts
carrots ~ 1/2 cup very thinly sliced or grated
ginger ~ 1 teaspoon, grated

Chinese 5 spice~ 1/2 teaspoon
chili flakes ~ 1 teaspoon
garlic ~ 2 cloves crushed/grated/finely chopped
ginger ~ 1/2 teaspoon grated
brown sugar ~ 2 tablespoons
sriracha sauce ~ 1 tablespoon 
soya sauce ~ 4 tablespoons
apple cider vinegar ~ 1 1/2 tablespoons
Water ~ 8-10 tablespoons



Cut your beef/steak into strips

In a bowl add the soya sauce, and white wine, add the beef and mix well.
add the corn starch and mix well again and leave to one side

chop veggies (other veggies can be added. Next time I'll add some mushrooms)

In a bowl/jug add the chinese 5 spice, chili flakes, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, soya sauce, apple cider vinegar and water and mix well. Leave to one side.

Add the sesame oil to the pan and then add some of the beef. 
Cook the beef in at least 2 if not 3 batches
The beef shouldnt take more than 4-5 minutes each batch.

Remove all the beef from the pan and add a little bit more oil (just a drizzle) 
add the veggies and cook until cooked through

add the sauce stirring well

leave for a few minutes then add the beef. mix well 
turn the heat up high for a couple of minutes. The sauce will bubble and reduce Very quickly.
Turn down the heat to a very low heat for a minute or two.

We served this with rice...I need cucumber to help with the heat ;)





















No comments:

Post a Comment