Wednesday 3 August 2016

Buttermilk roast chicken

                Buttermilk Roast Chicken




It seems lately all my recipes are made with buttermilk. 
This recipe I did a while ago and had actually forgotten to post 

It helps that I actually know what buttermilk is called called here now, it did take a while.
I had to tell  TH and TS that this carton is not actual milk for your cereal
It's gotten to the point that I have had  said you can only drink the milk with the top facing out.
I can only image them pouring this on the morning cereal while in a rush.

I recently had made fried chicken, not something I'd normally do but  TS loves chicken tenders and I kept reading about this magical formal of soaking the chicken in buttermilk.
...Well.....it was wonderful.

Which made me think about soaking a whole chicken in buttermilk and some seasoning

I kept reading that the chicken should marinate for at least 24 hours.
Well I never had 24 hours I had more like 7-8 hours until dinner time


What you'll need

A whole roast chicken
buttermilk ~ 2 cups
onion powder ~ 1 teaspoon
garlic powder ~ 1 teaspoon
light brown sugar ~ 2 tablespoons
oregano  (dried) ~ 1/4 teaspoon
thyme ~ (dried) ~ 1/4 teaspoon
basil (dried) ~ 1/4 teaspoon
ground coriander ~ 1/2 teaspoon
ground cumin ~ 1/4 teaspoon
salt ~ 1/2 teaspoon
pepper ~ 3/4 teaspoon

Large food bag that will fit the chicken

place the chicken breast down
cut alone the backbone with scissors and remove the backbone
turn the chicken over and press down on the breastbone until it snaps
this will help the chicken lay flatter

wash and dry the chicken
mix the buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, oregano, thyme, basil, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt and pepper and mix well

place the chicken into the bag
lay the chicken flat
pour the butter milk mix into the bag
shake the bag around a bit, making sure all the chicken is coated
seal the bag.
place in the fridge for as long as possible at least 6 hours

bake at 180°c/350°f for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear.



































No comments:

Post a Comment